Translate

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Des Vides


Its nearing an year now. An year of dreams, hopes, achievements, craziness, doubts, meltdowns, new friends and family. When last November, I moved to Amreeka with Pankaj and a half year old Gappu, I had felt elated. Finally, my amrikan dream was becoming a reality. Before even coming here, I could picture my first journey back home. Definitely in winters, long boots, Gucci ka bag, MK ke shades, CK ki jacket and a walking Gappu with me. And then ranting humare amreeka mein toh aisa hota hai and vaisa hota hai..

But, a week after that 24 hour contraption called flight journey, I was very well grounded. It wasn't going to be easy. Being on my own. Dealing with important growth years of a premature born baby as a first time mother was a task and also sometimes frustrating. Upar se, it was winters. All snow and being confined to limited places was not easy getting accustomed to. Being a content writer, I am supposed to be good in angreji and I am. But, understanding the amreekan accent was sometimes a daring job. Somehow I managed and thoughtI would survive.

But, six months here and that creepy feeling of being family sick started coming back now and then. It was always as if I was trying to calm myself saying that it is just a holiday and we will be back home again forgetting that this was my home for now. This was also the time when I realised thee importance of being near my family, their nagging, their concern. I realised that they are my strongest support system and without them I am usually on life support system. However, i did make through those winters with some extra oxygen supply from friends, and shoppjng escapades.

Summers came with a rush of blood in me. open spaces, green trees, outings, beaches, get together, kitty parties rejuvenated me. Friends seemed to be becoming family and my heart and mind sort of accepted that. The Amreekan dream was not all that nasty.

There are tough times but as I approach my second winters here I know I am better equipped to take the task head on.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment